Used by: National Capital Commission
Used from: 1969-present
Designer: Julien Hébert, original logo design
The National Capital Commission logo is made up of thirteen maple leaves, organized in a circle with the top of each leaf facing outwards.
Ten solid maple leaves represent the Canadian provinces, and three outlined maple leaves positioned to the right represent the territories. The use of solid and outlined leaves symbolizes the letter “C,” which stands for “capital” in English and “capitale” in French.
An earlier version of the logo, with only 12 maple leaves, was used from 1970 to 1999. This was before the creation of the third Canadian territory, Nunavut, in 1999. The pre-1999 version of the logo, as well as the initial 1999 version, incorporated stems on each of the maple leaves.
The logo has been used in a variety of corporate signature treatments, as well as pairings with abbreviated wordmarks.
The logo most often appears in deep green, or solid white or solid black.
While there is only one apparent Canadian trademark record for the NCC logo (pre-1999 version), all variations would have the status of a mark of the Government of Canada.
Application number: 0900413
Type: Design Mark
Category: Prohibited Mark; Official Mark
About the National Capital Commission
The National Capital Commission is the federal Crown corporation responsible for preparing and development, conservation, and improvement of Canada’s Capital Region. It has been in operation since 1959.