Organization: Canadian Government Travel Bureau
Product: Publication
Year: 1964

Product copy

Canada Border Crossing Information

Regulations affecting Visitors, Their Baggage, Sporting Outfits, Vehicles, Boats, Aircraft

Each year Canada welcomes visitors numbering almost twice her own population. Because of the proximity of the United States of America, the majority of vacationists come from that travel-minded country.

They cross the 4,000-mile international boundary in millions annually, with a minimum of formality, and fan out over a great playground of lake and forest, mountain and seashore seeking healthful recreation and holiday enjoyment. Other visitors come from almost every country in the world some for travel education, others to study the tremendous industrial and commercial developments that have characterized Canada’s phenomenal growth in recent years. Courteous officials at ports of entry facilitate procedures and issue visitors any permits required for vehicles and outfits.

The purpose of this folder is to provide information about Immigration and Customs regulations concerning travel into and through Canada.

United States of America

Crossing the United States-Canadian border either way is made without difficulty or delay by citizens or permanent residents of the United States. THEY DO NOT REQUIRE PASSPORTS OR VISAS. To assist officers of both nations to speed the crossing, however, native-born U.S. citizens should carry identifying papers such as birth, baptismal or voter’s certificate, or such other documents establishing their citizenship. Naturalized citizens would be well advised to carry documentary evidence of citizenship such as a naturalization certificate, for presentation if requested. Alien permanent residents in the United States are advised to have their Alien Registration Receipt Card (U.S. Form 1-151).

Permanent residents of the United States who come to Canada on visits from countries other than the U.S.A. are required to have valid national passports and Canadian non-immigrant visas unless, in respect of the latter requirement, they have been specifically exempted as indicated under the following headings:

Visitors to the United States who are in possession of a single entry visa to the U.S.A., before leaving that country for a visit in Canada should present their documents at an office of the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service to ensure that they have necessary documentation for their re-entry to the United States.

Persons temporarily in the United States who, after arrival in that country, wish to visit Canada, may be permitted to do so without visas. However, unless it is indicated under the following headings that visas are not required, persons planning trips to the United States which would include an incidental visit to Canada should obtain Canadian visas from the Canadian representative in their country before departure.

Countries other than the United States

All persons coming to Canada as visitors from countries other than the United States of America must be in possession of valid national pass- ports. Also, persons who are not citizens of countries listed below must have their passports visaed by a Canadian immigration officer, or consular officer, in their country of residence. In countries where there is no Canadian representative visas may be secured from the nearest consular officer of the British Government.

Holidays are meant to be enjoyable

The Canadian Government Travel Bureau provides a free Travel Counselling Service to help you get the most out of a vacation in Canada.

The Bureau works in close co-operation with other Federal Government departments, provincial and local tourist associations and transportation companies.

We invite you to take full advantage of this free service. All you have to do is let us know your plans and requirements.


The physical version of this product is part of the federal identity archive.