Used by: National Film Board of Canada (NFB)
Used from: 1968-present
Designer: Georges Beaupré
The National Film Board logo is made up of a human figure with outstretched arms that are connected overhead. The placement of the head, surrounded by arms and body, symbolizes a visionary eye.
Designed by Georges Beaupré in 1968, the logo was adopted by the NFB as its official identifying symbol in 1969. The name given to the logo was “Man Seeing / L’homme qui voit”.
In 1986, a corporate signature version was created by animator Ishu Patel. The corporate signature preceded all of NFB’s films.
In 1993, the NFB modified the logo, placing the symbol over the “NFB/ONF” English and French abbreviations.
Paprika Communications was responsible for the last refresh of the logo in 2002. The “NFB/ONF” abbreviations were placed on their sides, positioned to the left or above a silhouetted version of the symbol.
Application number: 0900449, 0921287, 0921288
Filed: 1970-04-06, 2011-08-05
Type: Design Mark
Category: Prohibited Mark; Official Mark
About the National Film Board of Canada
The National Film Board of Canada (NFB) is federal departmental agency that operates under the authority of the National Film Act.
Originally known as the National Film Commission, it was created in 1939 and it worked alongside the Government Motion Picture Bureau.
Photo of National Film Board’s headquarters, the Norman McLaren Building, by Chicoutimi.