Organization: Canadian Government Office of Tourism
Product: Publication
Year: 1980

Product copy

Travel Information 1981/82

Welcome to Canada

This brochure is designed to help visitors from the United States plan a trip to Canada and deals with entry into Canada, vehicles and motoring, information for sportsmen, customs regulations, food, pets and plants, shopping, temperature and weather, holidays, and some typical prices.

Visitors from abroad should refer to “Travel Information for visitors from overseas”, published in English for visitors from Britain and Australia, French, German, Japanese, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish for visitors from Central and South America.

Additional information is available from the nearest Canadian Government Office of Tourism, Embassy or Consulate.

Note: The information, prices and regulations quoted in this publication were those available at the time of printing. November, 1980, and are subject to change.

Entry into Canada

From the United States

Citizens or permanent residents of the United States do not require passports or visas and can usually cross the U.S.A.-Canada border without difficulty or delay. However, to assist officers of both countries in speeding the crossing, native-born U.S. citizens should carry some identification papers showing their citizenship, such as a birth, baptismal or voter’s certificate. Proof of residence may also be required. Naturalized U.S. citizens should carry a naturalization certificate or some other evidence of citizenship. Permanent residents of the United States who are not U.S. citizens are advised to carry their Alien Registration Receipt Card (U.S. Form 1-151 or Form 1-551).

Persons under 18 years of age who are not accompanied by an adult should bring with them a letter from a parent or guardian giving them permission to travel to Canada.

Citizens of the United States may enter Canada from any country as visitors without requiring a passport or visa: legal residents of the United States are visa exempt if they enter Canada from the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, or if they are citizens of a country that is visa-exempt.

From other countries via the United States

All persons other than U.S. citizens or legal residents citizens of France residing in St. Pierre and Miquelon, and residents of Greenland, require a valid passport or an acceptable travel document. Some persons require a visa to enter Canada. Visitors should direct their enquiries regarding visa applications and valid travel documents to the Canadian Embassy, Consulate or Office of Tourism in their home country before departure for the United States. Only in emergency situations should applications be made to Canadian Consulates in the United States located in Atlanta, Boston, Buffalo, Chicago. Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New Orleans, New York City. San Francisco and Seattle.

Visitors who wish to return to the United States after visiting Canada should check with an office of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service to make sure they have all the necessary papers to get back into the United States.

Visitors under the transit-without-visa privilege must establish: that they are admissible to the U.S.A. under immigration laws; that they have confirmed onward reservations to Canada; that they will continue their journey on the same line or on a connecting line within eight hours after arrival in the U.S.A. Such travellers cannot transfer to a connecting transportation line more than twice. The second form of transportation must depart for a foreign location (but not necessarily non-stop). The total period of waiting time for connecting transportation should never exceed eight hours, unless there is no scheduled transportation within that eight-hour period. In such a case, the traveller must continue his journey on the first available form of transportation.

Employment or study in Canada

Persons wishing to study or work in Canada must obtain a student or employment authorization before coming to Canada, except in certain cases specified by regulation. Citizens or permanent residents of the United States, St. Pierre and Miquelon or Greenland may apply at a Canadian port of entry, but an authorization will only be granted if all the normal prerequisites have been fulfilled, including a medical examination and job clearance, where necessary. Employment authorizations are not issued if there are qualified Canadians or permanent residents available for the work in question. Persons wishing to work or study in Canada should contact the nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate for further information.


The physical version of this product is part of the federal identity archive.